Did you make a new year's resolution to lose weight and not sure how to make it work ? Need some help and support in your weight loss journey ? If so, read on.
91% fail to achieve their new year's reslution of losing weight
Personally, I went thru the same process myself. For several years, I made a new year resolution to get back to my 20’s weight but it never happens. No matter how much I wanted it, imagined it and tried everything I could think of, it just didn’t happen. I didn’t know what to do, I was confused, frustrated and mostly angry. This whole weight loss seems to be much more complicated than I ever imagined. As a father of 2 small kids, living in Port Moody, I wanted to be a role model for my kids so I kept working on that until I came up with the solution. It took me several years to find the 5 steps (describes below) to ensure success with my weight loss journey. I have used this method and it worked great. Now, I would like to share those steps with you, to get you to successfully lose some weight.
1. Start with the big picture : Set a SMART goal
The first step in our journey is setting the overall (yearly) goal. This will be used as the foundation layer for all other steps and will give us the overall direction and guidance.
- Simple – life is complicated enough. Keep your yearly goal as simple as possible
- Meaningful / Motivational – The goal needs to be motivational for YOU.
- Achievable – make sure you set up realistic target. Not more than 1-2 lbs of weight loss per week
- Relevant – Does this seem worthwhile to YOU ? How is it going to make your life better
- Time bound – have a target date.
2. Break it to monthly (or even weekly) goals
The next step is to break the big goal into smaller monthly (or even weekly) goals aims to tackle your specific “pain points” and move you closer to your goal.
- Cut down on sugar in my food
- Ditch the sodas
- Cook healthier meals
- Improve my lunch: Have soup or salad instead of pizza, sandwich or fast food
- Drink more water
- Make sure you only eat when hungry and not from habit, emotion, or even boardom
- Commit to # of weekly workouts
3. Have a plan in place
The third step it to build a plan to achieve those monthly (or weekly) goals. For example:
- If your plan is to cook healthier meals, start planning what you are going to cook and shop accordingly. This will both make you healthier and reduce your grocery bill.
- If you want to drink more water, start with tracking your water consumption for a week and then slowly try to increase it every week
- If your goal is to commit to # of weekly workouts, just go ahead and put them on the calendar and treat them like any other appointment.
4. Be social. Let people know
Humans are social creatures and weight loss can work better as a team. There are few ways in which you can get support from your family and close friends on your weightloss journey:
- Emotional : Use your support group as a shoulder to lean on when you’re feeling discouraged and need some support and encouragement.
- Practical : Use your support group to help you work on your plan, for example: have someone to watch the kids while you exercise.
- Motivational : An exercise partner who encourages you to get out and move on those days when your favorite TV show seems like a better option.
- Accountable : Someone that will help you track your progress and keep you accountable to sticking to your plan
5. Have fun !
There is absolutely no way you can stick to the process if you are not enjoying it. Follow these guidelines to add some fun to your weightloss journey: